Skip to main content

Bugaboo Wednesday Tutorial - DIY Enamel Dots

Good morning!
Bugaboo hosts a tutorial on the
on the last Wednesday of the month.
This month I get to share an easy project with you!
Do It Yourself Enamel Dots

I really like the look of the enamel dots
that have been so popular recently.

With limited craft stores in my area 
it was fabulous to find to a way to make
my own enamel dots.

I started with a small package of Pony Beads
and Perlerbeads.


I did a quick Google search and found several instructional
videos.  The instruction I found for the perlerbeads
recommended using a 275 degree oven for 30 - 35
minutes. They seemed to melt very easily for me.

I started by lining a small aluminum cookie sheet with parchment
paper and spaced the beads out to allow for spread 
while melting.


After the beads have melted to the desired size let them cool.
I used a plastic Pampered Chef scrapper to gently scrape 
them off of the parchment paper and into ziplock baggies
for storage.

I used the same basic steps for the pony beads except
increased the oven temperature to 425 degrees.   
Beware-
the pony beads can have a strong chemical odor while melting.
I opened a window and ran the vent fan. 
 I began by leaving them in the oven for 10 minutes.  
Each oven is different and the brand of Pony Beads may differ as well.
So, I checked every 10 minutes until they were the 
desired size that I needed.

Below are the melted Pony Beads:

Both types of beads can be found at your local craft store.
A pack of 500 Pony Beads was around $2.50 at my
local Wal-Mart store.  They had a large selection of 
colors and several variety packages.

Of course, I have used these fun embellishments
with a Bugaboo image:


I hope you've enjoyed my quick tutorial today.
Although it takes a little baking time I now
have enough enamel dots for MANY 
future projects.  I hope you get a chance 
to try the process then share your creation
with the Bugaboo team!

Comments

Virgo5 said…
Wow Cynthia this is really cool! I had no idea you could make your own, thanks so much for sharing this!
Unknown said…
Thanks cynthia for the super cool tutorial... would not have thought to use those beads for this, but nice to know.. will have to try it one day..
Thanks for sharing!!
Cheryl First said…
Great tutorial, Cynthia! Thanks so much for sharing!
Penny said…
Thank you for the tutorial! Great way to make the enamel dots, though I think I'll skip the stinky ones, lol! :^)
Love your card! The image and sentiment are so cute; love your design, DP, and enamel embellies! :^)
Hugs, Penny
Cynthia said…
Thanks for stopping by, Cheryl!
Thanks for this tutorial Cynthia - and for the advice on the ventilating when working with the pony beads - I may have to leave that until summer when I can open the house :-).
Blessings
Maxine
Such a fun tutorial! Thanks for sharing this great idea with us.
Nancy
Tammy Miller said…
Love this thanks so much for a great tutorial! I hope you are enjoying your stay with Bugaboo we love having you!
Monika/Buzsy said…
What a super cute card Cynthia. Love the darling image and the coloring. Those candy dots look awesome! I've been making them too, but haven't used any on my cards yet.